As promised, this is to update you on the current situation at Jacobi Carbons and the way we are managing the consequences of the Corona crisis, making sure our people are safe and that we serve you the best way we can. We believe that it is important to keep you updated regularly, as the situation is very dynamic, and communication is key to find solutions for the joint challenges we are facing. That is why I will continue my weekly updates until the situation has “normalized” again.
Your Jacobi representative will stay in close touch with you to understand your changing needs and communicate about any potential supply delays, making sure that we can continue meeting your needs. Pro-active communication is of absolute importance to make sure we can anticipate and serve you best.
Due to close cooperation with the local authorities and communities, we are able to gradually increase our production volume. The Global Supply Chain team is constantly coordinating and optimising our overall Supply Chain making sure that we maximise our supply to the market and secure supply as best as we can. Although the situation is still fragile, we are increasing the production output step by step.
- The country lockdown is announced to last till May 16th as of now. Tamil Nadu is under partial lock down: Chennai has been a big cluster from where the virus has spread in the state, Coimbatore and Tirunelveli (where we are) are “orange” which means essential and small shops only are open, and district to district movements remain restricted.
- Fortunately, testing capacities have increased in Tamil Nadu.
- Based on the authorisation we get, our ability to bring workers back and the state of the restart of charcoal producers, we will decide if we can increase capacity further.
- The country curfew is until May 11th and likely to be extended for Nattandiya and Colombo (where we are).
- We are in the process of getting approval to extend the skeleton operation.
- The charcoal supply chain is very slowly restarting.
- Covid-19 cases have been rising in Cagayan de Oro (where most of our people live) which creates a lot of worry in the community. Misamis Oriental (where we are) have no cases but authorities are controlling movements between districts strictly with check points and time rules.
- We are running full and shipments are going smoothly, but charcoal deliveries are slowed down and disturbed because of the transport restrictions.
Vietnam & China
- The situation is stable and we are running with no problems. Nevertheless, we continue to enforce strict hygiene policies in the factories, and a ban of non-essential visitors and travels.
- Lock down is extended and all team members are still working from home.
In most countries, preparations are being made to relax the lockdown situation. In the course of May, we expect business to increase gradually although some restrictions will still remain and will hinder our operations and logistics. All office and sales teams continue to work from home.
- Italy: operations are ramping up gradually.
- Germany; reactivation is up and running again.
- France: we have initiated field service work.
- Our locations in Spain, the UK and Sweden are operational.
Our production facility and warehouse operations remain fully operational.
“Despite having faced a forced shut down in 4 factories earlier on, we have been able to contain the impact of the corona virus on our organisation and are running all our factories again safely, with currently the majority of our capacity being operational. This is thanks to our close collaboration with the authorities, our involvement in the local communities and the dedication & creativity of our People. The intensive cooperation of our Customer Service and Sales teams with – and the support from our Customers enables our Supply Chain teams to continue supplying our valued Customers and the essential industries we serve.
Although we are confident having adapted well to the “new normal”, we expect the crisis to last. We should not rule out a new local outbreak, or other unforeseen events that could suddenly hit us or our supply chain. However, we are confident that our broad Manufacturing Footprint, our robust Supply Chain, our capability to adapt and the quality of our People will continue Security of Supply. Focus on health & safety, and close cooperation with you as our customers, remains more essential than ever.”
Take good care.
Remko Goudappel CEO
Jacobi Carbons AB