As promised, this is to update you on the current situation at Jacobi Carbons and the way we are managing the consequences of the Corona crisis, making sure our people are safe and that we serve you the best way we can. We believe that it is important to keep you updated regularly, as the situation is very dynamic, and communication is key to find solutions for the joint challenges we are facing. That is why I will continue my weekly updates until the situation has “normalized” again.
It is important to remind ourselves to take time to ensure we are all performing our jobs in a Safe manner. As everyone is focusing heavily on controlling the spread of the Corona virus and maximizing our output, we should maintain our focus on Safety as well. This is especially true at our plants where we have implemented social distancing, been impacted by a reduction in the workforce, have employees performing new tasks, and have modified hours of operation. Your and our Safety remains our first priority.
Your Jacobi representative will stay in close touch with you to understand your changing needs and communicate about any potential supply delays, making sure that we can continue meeting your needs. Pro-active communication is of absolute importance to make sure we can anticipate and serve you best.
Due to close cooperation with the local authorities and communities, we are able to gradually increase our production volume. The Global Supply Chain team is constantly coordinating and optimizing our overall Supply Chain making sure that we maximize our supply to the market and secure supply as best as we can. Although the situation is still fragile, we are increasing the production output step by step.
- The country lockdown imposed until May 16th is expected to be extended, but with certain relaxations for the economy to function. In Tamil Nadu, Chennai is a “red” zone, but Coimbatore and Tirunelveli are “orange” with only a few Covid -19 cases.
- The charcoal supply chain has restarted partly, and thanks to our close collaboration with our suppliers we have secured raw material to run our Coimbatore factory at full capacity.
- The curfew has been lifted in Nattandiya and we’re back to normal operation after getting approval from the authorities.
- It is however not the time for relaxation: we enforce strict hygiene and social distancing rules, and encourage those who can to work from home.
- The charcoal suppliers are slowly restarting, but the coconut industry is still not running at full capacity, hence there still is a limited supply of shells.
- There is no change from last week; Cagayan de Oro and Misamis Oriental are under “general community quarantine”, which means movements between districts are strictly controlled.
- We are running at full capacity and shipments are going smoothly, although charcoal deliveries are slowed down due to transport restrictions.
Vietnam & China
- The situation is stable and we are running with no problems. Nevertheless, we continue to enforce strict hygiene policies in the factories, and a ban of non-essential visitors and travel.
- Our supplies from our partners in China on Ion Exchange Resins, chemically treated wood-based carbon and coal-based products are non-interrupted.
- Even though the lock-down in Malaysia has extended till June 9, the Prime Minister has announced the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO), which permits most business operations and freedom of movement within states.
- As the work for some of the team members in our Global Shared Service Center requires extensive printing of documents, we will allow limited work in the office while fully respecting social distancing and hygiene rules. As we put safety as our #1 priority, we will implement a shift approach that limits the number of people in the office at all times.
In most European countries, the lockdown has been lifted and we are back to full operations while fully respecting social distancing and hygiene rules.
- Italy: even though we are still only at 80% manpower in the Basiano plant, in the coming 2 weeks we expect to be back to full operations! We expect to be back at 100% manpower in June.
- France: is back to full operations with full staffing.
- Our operations in Germany, Spain, the UK, and Sweden are facing no disruptions.
Our production facility and warehouse operations remain fully operational.
“Although we are confident having adapted well to the “new normal”, we expect the crisis to last. We should not rule out a new local outbreak, or other unforeseen events that could suddenly hit us or our supply chain. However, we are confident that our broad Manufacturing Footprint, our robust Supply Chain, our capability to adapt and the quality of our People will continue Security of Supply. Focus on health & safety, and close cooperation with you as our customers, remains more essential than ever.”
Take good care.
Remko Goudappel CEO
Jacobi Carbons AB